Japan 2014 Discussion

Discussions and Questions about Land Destinations, Hotels, Ports, and More.
YFlower

Re: Japan 2014 Discussion

Postby YFlower » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:08 am

Could you have used luggage forwarding services if you had been inclined throughout your trip, or were some of the places too off the beaten track?

I had the exact experience as you re: eating well, but quite inexpensively on both my trips to Japan. The first time I went in 1994 I wondered what all the fuss was about with expensive food, since I didn't find that to be the case. Like you, I ate at local places at/near train stations, usually, and had awesome meals. For last year's trip I also discovered the 7-11 phenomenon you have described. Your posts make me miss the wonderful 7-11 nigiri rice triangle...even the plain ones without nori. PERFECT rice, even pre-packaged.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:58 pm

As far as I know the luggage forwarding services will deliver anywhere. Maybe not Rikuzentakata, but certainly everywhere else. I only used it once to avoid carrying two bags through Tokyo station. Last time we were here we had cruise luggage with us and we sent that ahead every time. The bags we have this time are smaller and stack together. Next time I will bring half as much and just one roller bag and my computer bag (itholds all of our docs and money, too). My rule would be to lay out the bare minimum of what I think I need, then only pack half of that.

I bought a rolling duffle bag I intended to bring, but I thought it was too big when I actually packed it. Now I think that would have been better than the two small ones. I wasn't sure how tall the space on trains would be, but it would have fit and been less cumbersome. Bill isn't at all happy with the bag he bought for the trip. It keeps getting stuck on the bumps they have in the sidewalks for blind people.

Yes, 7-11 is your friend!

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Thu May 01, 2014 2:02 pm

I was glad to read that they held the ship for the late arrivals from LAX. One of those involved had posted to CC and was frantic. Of course people came in and said we never travel the same day as the cruise begins etc etc etc. I never travel the same day and I'll never understand why anyone does this(not even my sister). Hopefully the cruise is going well. It will be interesting to read your journal and compare it to someone else's WC blog. It is fun to read people's differing reports. Enjoy!!!

FeAudrey

Postby FeAudrey » Fri May 02, 2014 12:47 pm

The daily activities sheet that you posted today (May 2nd) mentioned classes in a "New Activity KENDO kata (Japanese Bamboo sword fighting form)".

Would love a report on this!

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sat May 03, 2014 5:27 am

I didn't even look at the activities list. There are a lot of Japanese people on this cruise, so maybe that's why they offered it?

Mike808 from this board is on the cruise also, maybe he knows something about it. I'll ask him next time I see him.

FeAudrey

Postby FeAudrey » Sat May 03, 2014 7:32 am

Today's (May 3rd) daily activities listing says that the kendo class is in the Galaxy Lounge at 11am -- and the instructor is "activities hostess Mikako". Sounds better and better! :P

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sun May 04, 2014 4:00 am

I asked Mike if he knew anything about...he said he wasn't aware of it either. His wife knew about it, but didn't go look at it.

I wonder if maybe one of the Japanese guests offered to present the class and Mikako is just there to translate or something? It seems kind of "exotic" for Crystal to have come up with it ;-)

We accidentally wandered into Palm Court where a CC party was going on. We've never turned around so quickly! They might have turned into a lynch mob ;-)

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Sat May 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Thank you so much for taking us along. Your reports were great and your pictures fabulous. I know it can be a pain to post everyday and I do appreciate your efforts. I'm also glad that all is well in San Diego. I have a cousin who lives there s I have been keeping tabs on the fires. Rest up and I can't wait for your next adventure.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Tue May 20, 2014 10:07 pm

Thank you all for following along! It actually isn't a pain to post every day. I enjoy reflecting on what happened that day.

I will put this in the blog, too, but as you all may recall, I intended to cancel the return leg of our flight after we got home. I didn't expect to get anything refunded, but today JAL informed me that we'll get $352 per person refunded! I guess my strategy worked ;-) BTW, the refund is for the taxes...the fare itself isn't refundable, which is what I had assumed. Hadn't even thought about the taxes.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Tue May 20, 2014 10:09 pm

I am working on getting the first batch of pictures ready to post. Should be all of the Tokyo Disney Resort this week, then I'll add other cities ASAP after that. Keep checking in!

Return to “Road Trips & Land Destinations”