Iceland Grand Circle Road Trip Discussion

Discussions and Questions about Land Destinations, Hotels, Ports, and More.
HostDave
Site Admin

Re: Iceland Grand Circle Road Trip Discussion

Postby HostDave » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:48 pm

For various reasons, there might be some changes coming to this trip or it might not happen at all (it will be replaced with something else if that is the case). I won't know anything for sure until the end of next week, but right now I'm hoping we are on track to keep to the posted schedule.

In the meantime, I'm watching the road conditions in the Westfjords region. It is very uncertain that the roads will be open early enough in May for our trip, so there could be some shuffling around of the schedule.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:00 pm

It looks like cancelling the entire trip won't be necessary after all (came that close!), so now all I'm waiting for is a sign that the roads in the Westfjords will be open early enough for us. If not it means I have to do some rearranging to fill four days, but that's simple enough.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:57 pm

I scheduled a pick-up with LuggageFree for tomorrow. I'll put all of the details in the blog tomorrow (assuming they show up), but basically they charge $6.33 per pound and $50 for full-service pickup that includes wrapping the luggage in plastic. You can opt for having labels delivered with the extra fee, but I thought I'd see how their full-service option works.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:10 pm

After some confusion on my part because of the poorly designed LuggageFree website, everything seems to have fallen into place today. My emails were answered promptly and the bags were picked up within the hour window I selected. I think they should tell you in advance not to lock luggage being sent internationally, but since I already knew that it wasn't a big deal. The courier who picked up the bags was very professional and seemed to know what he was doing. If the bags actually arrive at the Hilton in Iceland on time we might be onto something. I already got an email confirming that the bags were picked up. With LuggageForward last year I never heard anything at all from them until the bags were delivered which was just a bit nerve wracking.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks for the LuggageFree update! Since I'm also (possibly) sending to an Iceland hotel, can you share the trick you used to finally get it to take the international address?

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:36 pm

I ended up putting Iceland in the blank for the state and tacking the zip code (108) onto Reykjavik. I'm not sure exactly how I made it go through, but I THINK I put a fake zip code in the field for that just so it would be formatted correctly and accepted. On the next screen you verify everything and you can edit each field so it is correct for Iceland and delete anything you used just as a filler. It didn't reject any of the edits, which is how I finally got it formatted the way it should look.

They were very prompt answering the two emails I sent, which is encouraging. FYI, you'll have to scan your passport info page, a list of what is in the luggage, and your flight itinerary that you then email to them (or fax). They'll send an email asking for it and all you have to do is reply and attach the info...I sent pdf's of everything. Later I got an email asking for my check-in date, so you could probably save some time by including that with the other info. Be sure to start the process at least two weeks in advance of your arrival just to be sure it gets there on time.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info. Safe travels and can't wait to start reading about the adventures!

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Fri May 01, 2015 7:13 pm

We're on our way! The first update has been posted from somewhere over Canada.

kayred

Postby kayred » Sat May 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Have a wonderful trip. I look forward to reading your updates.

Mike808

Postby Mike808 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:22 pm

Joanne and I are following your journey. The first meal sounded great. The weather, not so great. I've only seen snow once in my life and Joanne has never seen it. I told her it is highly overrated.

Return to “Road Trips & Land Destinations”