Iceland Grand Circle Road Trip Discussion

Discussions and Questions about Land Destinations, Hotels, Ports, and More.
HostDave
Site Admin

Re: Iceland Grand Circle Road Trip Discussion

Postby HostDave » Sun May 03, 2015 2:05 am

What's odd is that there is no snow on the ground from the airport to Reykjavik, but everything we can see in the distance is white. Weather is perfect today (for Iceland)...well, it looks perfect we haven't been outside yet. Says it is 32 at 10am. I guess if you want to see snow you have to drive out of town, so we'll be doing that soon enough.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Tue May 05, 2015 2:45 pm

Excited to be following your adventure. Is it still getting dark enough that you may be able to see the Northern Lights?

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Tue May 05, 2015 11:55 pm

The car hire guy said we might be able to see them, but so far we haven't been awake late enough. The sun was shining last night as we were walking back from dinner at 9:30 pm. I THINK it gets dark after midnight until around 3:30am. We'll probably have better luck up north and maybe by then we'll be able to stay awake longer ;)

Mike808

Postby Mike808 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Loved that children's menu. Your average American nine year old would have a tough time deciding between Saga's favorite of pasta with butter and ketchup or Jokul's favorite of boiled fish with butter and potatoes. Yum!

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Sun May 10, 2015 3:43 pm

The photos are gorgeous, but those roads look pretty desolate. I assume there's no cell phone service? What are you supposed to do if the car breaks down...flag a passing car?

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Mon May 11, 2015 11:41 am

We rarely pass more than a handful of cars all day, but there is cell phone service almost everywhere. I know the ring road is completely covered. Apparently Icelanders are obsessed with it. Same with credit cards. I have yet to pay cash for anything and I haven't seen anyone else use it either.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Fri May 15, 2015 6:18 pm

FYI, the links for the menus to the restaurants in Akureyri are coming up "not found." I will be there via the Symphony in July, so look forward to checking out your lunch recommendations since I like to eat locally when feasible and prudent. Thanks again for all your effort to write the blog and post the photos!

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sat May 16, 2015 2:49 am

Thanks for letting me know (I forgot to upload them), I'll fix it right now.

There are several nice restaurants along the shopping street in Akureyri. A few casual places, as well. Rub 23 seems to be a popular favorite and it serves lunch. It is up the street that leads to the Icelandair Hotel; the KEA Hotel is on the corner. We might go there tonight.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sat May 16, 2015 1:02 pm

You have to go to Strikid when you are here. It is FANTASTIC. It is on the top floor of an office building that faces the harbor (on the outside of the shopping street). Besides the food it has a panoramic view over the fjord. I don't usually gush over things, as you know, but this was amazing. The sign on the sidewalk says fresh seafood, but they have many other things, plus sushi. Hint: Do not order the puffin appetizer :o

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Fri May 22, 2015 4:38 am

The photos of Dettifoss and Selfoss were quite spectacular! WTH with walking on those little planks to get there, though. I seriously don't think I would have. I would've stepped into what appears to be 6-8" of icy, dirty water if I mis=stepped...which I would probably do one way or the other.

Return to “Road Trips & Land Destinations”