Midwest & More Road Trip Discussion (On the Road)

Discussions and Questions about Land Destinations, Hotels, Ports, and More.
HostDave
Site Admin

Re: Midwest & More Road Trip Discussion (On the Road)

Postby HostDave » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:05 pm

We're back in touch now...new update will post tonight. The B&B we stayed at was a bit, uh, homey. The owner was gone all day and the internet stopped working, but we're in St. Louis now. I'll get busy posting shortly.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Glad you are okay. I figured there was an internet problem. I loved your descriptions of Marcelline. I did go "Like" them on Facebook. Gotta love that Disney Cast Member connection.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:08 pm

Great report on Marceline! FYI, the links to pictures for Monday keep giving an error.

Question about the picture of the path to Walt's Barn. It looked like there were signs posted along the way? If so, what did they say?

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:16 pm

I'll check the links for the pictures. I thought I uploaded all of them, so thanks for letting me know.

The signs had quotes from Walt Disney on them...like how he used to spend time thinking in the barn, etc. Also had info about the reconstruction and stuff like that. Same with the sign at the Dreaming Tree...explained what it is. There is a "new" dreaming tree across from it, but I didn't take a picture of it...just looks like a regular tree.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I fixed the links for the Monday photos. Again, thanks for letting me know. I'll add a few more later tonight of the hotel lobby.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Fri May 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Quick question: I'm all caught up on your adventures and I am exhausted reading all that you have done and all the places you have walked. Especially in the heat and humidity that has been following you around. Are you guys really tired at the end of the day? Do you ever think maybe we should take a day off?

I love your reports. I'm going to give Drury Inn a try based on your reports. It's always good t have another option. Take care and thanks for taking us along.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Fri May 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Yesterday was a long day, but usually we're done early enough that we don't burn out. The problem we have is remembering to stop and eat. We tend to push ourselves to get everything done. I can't do that anymore, so I'm trying to take time out for at least a snack at lunchtime. I do plan extra days so we can choose not to do anything if we're not in the mood or whatever. That's why we rarely stay just one night in a town. The night we arrive all we usually do is go out to eat and we're pretty much done. That seems to work well for us.

I highly recommend Drury Hotels. They really go all out to provide a good value. Drury Plazas are the upscale-ish version, but the inns we saw look nice, too. I got a survey the day after we left and when I answered it I mentioned that the room smelled of smoke when we arrived. Today I got an apologetic email from the hotel manager saying he'll look into it to be sure the maids don't let that happen again. We didn't complain at all, just mentioned it so they could take care of it for the next person.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Mon May 07, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm glad Fort Smith turned out to have some nice locals, and the Fort/Trail of Tears material is quite informative.

Are you traveling with a portable scanner (i.e., is that how you PDF'd the brochure?) The fidelity and colors are quite good -- what model/make is it?

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Tue May 08, 2012 7:15 am

I use a NeatReceipts portable scanner. www.neat.com (Amazon also sells them)

If I can, I prefer to download brochures and menus from websites, but I did have to scan all of the brochures in Fort Smith myself. My only minor complaint about this scanner is that it is almost impossible to get it to start the scan straight. I've tried everything to no avail. But, it is better than nothing and the quality is good.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Tue May 08, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks! I have an old NeatReceipts, but it doesn't do color; might be time for an upgrade since your scans are quite nice. I agree it is incredibly vexing that it doesn't scan straight--sorry to see that hasn't been corrected.

Return to “Road Trips & Land Destinations”