Midwest & More Road Trip Discussion (On the Road)

Discussions and Questions about Land Destinations, Hotels, Ports, and More.
YFlower

Re: Midwest & More Road Trip Discussion (On the Road)

Postby YFlower » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:23 pm

BTW, I totally concur on the food. Acela First Class serves meals that far outstrip anything I've had lately on American in First Class. Today I had a really excellent Hanger steak (tender, perfect temperature), steamed haricot vert, and Yukon potatoes for lunch, with a very good Key Lime mousse for dessert. The trip before I had the vegetarian option -- Japanese noodles with edamame dumplings -- that was really, really tasty.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:49 pm

We got to the hotel around 4:00 pm and we're dead tired, so we're planning to go to dinner downstairs and call it good. The taxi driver pointed out a couple of things, so we can cross those off (Daly Plaza, stuff like that.) The train arrived about 10 minutes early, but we had to wait for our checked luggage (nothing unusual.)

A couple people who ride the long distance train regularly told us that the whole experience depends on the crew you get. Some are good, some are indifferent. It really was appalling. Nobody was specifically rude, but this was the most humorless bunch of sourpusses I've ever seen. They all acted like they hated being there.

I knew about the rough ride from reading train blogs. The really rough part in Kansas has something to do with the track owner trying to muscle Amtrak to pay for upgrades. They're threatening to change the route if something isn't done about it.

I'll get busy finishing up the latest post before we go for dinner.

FeAudrey

Postby FeAudrey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:54 pm

(from the trip report)

HostDave wrote:... State & Lake restaurant ...The first thing we both said when we sat down is, "This is unpleasant." The bar, which is basically the entire restaurant, was packed and extremely noisy ... We'd order everything we had tonight again if we return here, which is unlikely due to the noise factor ...

You might want to give them a second chance. They had an event tonight that may account for the crowding:

http://www.zvents.com/chicago_il/events ... -vineyards

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:03 pm

That a possibility. There didn't appear to be anything organized going on, but you never know unless you're part of it. I guess there could have been people hanging around afterward, too. Although I did think it strange that the bar crowd wasn't at the Roof rather than the restaurant bar. We didn't have to wait and there were always empty tables, so we'll see. Friday/Saturday might be a problem, but we do eat earlier when we're travelling. Anyway, not worried about it. I'm shocked our bill was only $100 with what we had, especially for a big city hotel restaurant.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:01 pm

I guess this hotel is party central since the lobby is roped off like a nightclub tonight. I did know that, so no big surprise except for the noisy neighbors earlier.

FeAudrey

Postby FeAudrey » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:25 am

Glad you are enjoying your stay!

You guys covered impressive amounts of territory yesterday, especially considering how punk the weather was. Buckingham Fountain's display hasn't opened for the season yet, so you would have had a long wait to see the dancing waters and colored lights. But:

You mentioned possibly "pick(ing) up the car at the Hilton across from Grant Park". In your Buckingham Fountain photo, that's the very large four-bayed building in the background at the left. So you could swoop by for a look if the fountain opens over the week-end. It usually makes the news, so I'll post if it does.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Since we covered Michigan Ave all the way to Hancock tower, and then Navy Pier, we've covered most of everything on the agenda. Sure was beautiful weather today!

Supposedly the car rental place is picking us up, so we don't need to go to the Hilton (getting it from Grand Central station location.) But we might wander over that way again tomorrow. Who knows!

Today there has been construction noise all day at the hotel. Since we were out, we don't care, but noise on a weekend? What's up with that? It's a very nice place and very reasonably priced, but we probably wouldn't stay here again. I think the Kimpton hotels do trendy better and without the party animals.

FeAudrey

Postby FeAudrey » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:41 pm

HostDave wrote:... Today there has been construction noise all day at the hotel ... noise on a weekend? What's up with that? ...

Work that would be too disruptive to do on business days, such as on the Loop (El) itself:

http://www.transitchicago.com/looptrackrenewal/

Roadwork or other infrastructure work may also be in progress.

Minor note:

... Grand Central Station ...

That was in the southwest corner of the Loop. The reference is more likely to Central Station, also long gone, but in the area. The Metra Electric (commuter line -- the Art Institute is built partially over track air rights) is a survivor of rail services formerly headquartered there.

If you'd like a very Sunday-ish excursion, head for Lincoln Park, with gardens, zoo, conservatory, etc:

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Park_%28Chicago%29

Official:

http://www.chicagoparkdistrict.com/parks/lincoln-park/

The Chicago History Museum, at its south end, has a lot of Lincoln stuff.

MemberErik

Postby MemberErik » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Friends of mine who live in Hawaii are also in Chicago right now and are complaining about the cold weather...39 degrees....we are over 100 here in the desert.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:53 pm

It has been cold the last couple of days. We were all spoiled a few weeks back when the highs were in the 80s. Very unusual for Chicago. I guess the temps now are more in line with what they should be. I am amazed at all you did yesterday(Friday). Just reading about it made me tired. Glad you think Chicago is a beautiful city. It really is,especially where you are. I live on the south side and we have street medians all planted with trees and flowers too. It is really nice in the spring.

Return to “Road Trips & Land Destinations”