Canyonlands Road Trip Discussion

Discussions and Questions about Land Destinations, Hotels, Ports, and More.
HostDave
Site Admin

Re: Canyonlands Road Trip Discussion

Postby HostDave » Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 am

It amuses me that you think we have good attitudes (which we do, by the way) because so many people think we are assholes ;-)

If it hadn't been for the internet problem at the Hyatt we probably would have stayed the whole time, but I am so glad we went to the DoubleTree. That suite was amazing! I sure do wish we had stayed there the whole time. I have enough HHonors points that we could have stayed in that room for free. Oh well, live and learn! I guess it is my job to live through it so you don't have to.

Not much going on in Prescott...probably will just wander around the historic area, have lunch and come back and sit down. This motel is amusing. Love the martini glass stopper in the kitchen sink. The owners are very hospitable and informative, too. Inspires me to maybe look into opening a hotel myself, which we had investigated doing many years ago.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Tue May 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Okay, I just spit water all over my laptop because i am laughing so hard at the asshole comment. I would never think that but it did surprise me a bit that you don't do antiques. I don't either really but i do like Depression Glass so we usually stop in shops for that. Glad it has cooled off some. I bet you have gardens though. Your pics and descriptions of gardens is wonderful.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Definitely have gardens...four acres of them that I planted myself and most of the plants have labels ;-) Even have fireflies in the trees and flickering lanterns...remember, we're Disney boys!

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 pm

I hope you follow-up on the inspiration to open a hotel! Put me down for a RSVP, now. Plus, you can blog about the guests!

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Thu May 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Don't hold your breath. The last time we seriously explored the idea and looked at properties was 12 years ago, but there's always hope!

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Fri May 10, 2013 5:58 am

The photos of Sedona are gorgeous! I've always wanted to go, and the pics just reinforce that. FYI, the link to the sunset view from your room is "not found."

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Fri May 10, 2013 8:10 am

Thanks for letting me know...I'll fix it.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Fri May 10, 2013 3:04 pm

The stone chairs are interesting but if I sat down I might now get up.I was going to mention the sunset pic too. Your pictures really are beautiful. When i look at the menus I find myself deciding what I would order Sad I know. lol

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Tue May 14, 2013 6:50 am

Your pictures of the Grand Canyon are gorgeous! I haven't been in more than 40 years, and was wondering if either of you had been before and, if so, what kind of changes you notice (other than it apparently has gotten crazy crowded, which I don't recall it being...and it was the summer.) Also, we never took a tram, but drove from vista point to vista point. Are cars now not allowed to do this?

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Tue May 14, 2013 8:54 am

I've never been before and Bill was a little kid, so we don't have anything to compare to. You can still drive from the east entrance where the Watchtower is and stop at the views until you get almost to the village area. Everything from the village to Hermit's Rest you have to take a shuttle. I think you can still drive in the winter when it isn't crowded, but there were no marked parking spaces, so they might have stopped it altogether, not sure though. I forgot to post a link to the transportation map, so thanks for asking and reminding me ;-) The bus driver said that two years ago the total visitor count was around 2.5 million. Last year it was almost 6 million. It isn't crazy crowded right now, but this is just beginning of the season. I doubt you'd be able to get into any of the restaurants in the summer and only El Tovar takes reservations for dinner. And where would you park? I'm not exaggerating when I said we got the last parking space anywhere near the lodge when we arrived and no way are we moving until we leave!

Return to “Road Trips & Land Destinations”