Midwest & More Road Trip Discussion (Pre-departure)

Discussions and Questions about Land Destinations, Hotels, Ports, and More.
MemberErik

Re: Midwest & More Road Trip Discussion

Postby MemberErik » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:32 pm

I thought I heard that the Palmer House was closing for a year or so for a complete refurb (not sure when). I have never stayed there but did have a couple of drinks at the old Pump Room years ago.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:57 pm

The rooms have been recently re-done, but that's all I know. It has rooms available when we will be there, but it is a long shot that I'd choose it. I always think it sounds interesting to stay at historic hotels, but in reality we're usually happier at less formal places.

FeAudrey

Postby FeAudrey » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 am

MemberErik wrote:... the Palmer House ... the ... Pump Room ...

Two different landmarks, but both refurbished:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011 ... sador-east

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/reale ... 6sqft.html

MemberErik

Postby MemberErik » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:41 am

Thanks FeAudrey, I briefly thought that I was mistaken after posting but didn't have time to look it up. I probably haven't been to Chicago, outside of O'hare, for 15 years so I'm a little rusty.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on St. Louis as a stopover? When I told a friend of ours we are going there he said, "Oh my God, that's the armpit of the world!" Then he told me that a coworker disappeared and was found dead four days later. That last bit doesn't concern me so much since I'm sure we're more worldly and cautious than he is, but I've read elsewhere that the city isn't worth more than a day or two. I already cut it down from four to three, but should I consider chopping it down to two? What do you guys think?

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:20 am

I'm close to being with your friend. I've been twice, both for business, but with a bit of time for sites -- saw all I felt I needed on the first visit. On the second visit, with nothing I was interested in, I went to the baseball game because it was across the street and it was a nice Saturday afternoon for a beer and hotdog.

Maybe there are things in the immediate outskirts that would make it worth your while; I didn't have a car.

FeAudrey

Postby FeAudrey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:22 pm

There's tons of stuff, especially history-related stuff. Just a matter of whether it's stuff that you would want to visit.

Check their visitors' guide before you drop days from your stay there. If you are not intending further Midwest trips, you shouldn't short the sights on this one.

http://explorestlouis.com/visit-explore ... ors-guide/

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 pm

I have a guide book, which is why I scheduled four days originally. But, after more consideration I'm not sure some of the places are worth the extra day. Most of what we are interested in is in the vicinity of the Arch, in/near Forest Park, or elsewhere around downtown. We'll be staying across the street from the Arch at either the Drury Plaza or the Hyatt (probably.) I'm thinking I might not reserve any hotels in the next city beyond St. Louis and then we can stay longer/shorter without any reservation issues.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:28 pm

I noticed you mentioned you're now Diamond status with Hilton--nice! A couple of years ago I was Diamond and, for me, the biggest perk was the 48-hour room guarantee, which I needed to use several times when traveling on business. Since my preferred hotel in DC is a Hilton Garden Inn, the free Internet with Diamond was moot, though nice when I was at another property.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 pm

I try to choose Hilton Garden Inns whenever possible and getting the free breakfast with HHonors is great (with Gold.) I think charging for internet is outrageous in this day and age, so it is nice to get it free at all Hilton properties. I'm curious to see if we get any significant upgrades with Diamond.

Return to “Road Trips & Land Destinations”