Midwest & More Road Trip Discussion (On the Road)

Discussions and Questions about Land Destinations, Hotels, Ports, and More.
HostDave
Site Admin

Re: Midwest & More Road Trip Discussion (On the Road)

Postby HostDave » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:27 pm

We don't mind the cool temperatures at all. I hate walking around when it is hot, so this is fine. I'd prefer it didn't rain, but that wasn't a problem either.

After our long walking today, we're even more sold on this city. We'd say this is the overall nicest big city we've ever been to.

I noticed the State St. station has a sign saying it is being re-routed, but since we're not using it, doesn't matter to us. The construction noise here went on all day I guess. It started at 9:30 and was still going when we got back at 5. Stopped shortly after that. It would have driven us nuts if we had been at the hotel. It was like jackhammering or maybe sanding floors. I assume it was at the bar upstairs, but that is three floors away. As nice as this hotel is, we wouldn't stay here again. It is trying way to hard to be trendy and it attracts the kind of clientele associated with that. If I want that I'll stay at a W Hotel. I think it is a big mistake all around for this hotel to be branded as a Doubletree, but that's probably the closest fit within the Hilton brands.

I'll get today's blog entry posted later tonight.

FeAudrey

Postby FeAudrey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:35 am

You haven't mentioned what route you will be taking to Springfield.

Since you are visiting both the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River, you might travel along the oldest route connecting the two -- Chicago River, Illinois & Michigan Canal (historic) and/or Chicago Sanitary & Ship Canal (current), Illinois River. Everyone from native Americans (pre-canal land portage) to intermodal containerized freight-handling has used this corridor.

There is a string of visitors' centers, state parks, hiking, cycling, & canoeing trails, museums, and miscellaneous roadside attractions from Lockport (northeast of Joliet) all the way to where the Illinois River enters the Mississippi just above St. Louis. Hang a left at Peoria (or earlier, depending on what holds your interest) for Springfield.

This is less direct than I-55 (ex US 66), but more in the spirit of a Great Trek West.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:19 pm

I've been to Chicago several times, but always for business. Your pictures make me want to be a tourist there -- they're just great!

Go Kentucky (Amazing Race)

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:35 am

Chicago is a wonderful city. Definitely worth an extended visit. We'd love to return! Time to move on though...our feet are about to fall off.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:43 am

I can't believe this hotel is still operating. I stayed there in the late 70s with a group of Brownies. The kids loved it but I was a nervous wreck the whole time. Brings back memories.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:15 pm

We're staying here and I can't believe it is operating either ;-) I don't think they've changed anything since it was built...and I know they haven't washed the windows. The wallpaper in the corridors is dusty rose with avocado green doors. Obviously some of it has been updated...the beds are nice...but everything is dusty. At least the staff is nice.

Took Bill to the doctor today, so hopefully he'll be better shortly. More details will be in the blog.

FeAudrey

Postby FeAudrey » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:55 pm

(from the blog)
"... 'Ghosts of the Library' ... (a) live actor portrays a historian who turns out to be the ghost of a civil war soldier brought back from the dead ... (t)he effects are amazing and leave you wondering how they did it ..."

You know who fits the character description? "Bill Compton", of Charlaine Harris's
"Southern Vampire" mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse, adapted for television as the True Blood series):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Compton_%28vampire%29

(counting his database/directory as a historical work)

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Great report on Hannibal!! Since I'm unlikely to ever get there, I do feel as if I've seen it thanks to you. (The Dinette sign is just great; not something one sees often.)

Besides tourism, did you discern any other economic base?

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Thanks!

It looks like there is some industry or maybe mining of some sort on the outskirts, but there is nothing besides tourist-related business in the downtown area. The waterfront is deserted and any previous business based on river transport is boarded up (like the grocery building.) The restaurant tonight was packed with locals. Most of them look like farmers/ranchers, but I have no way of knowing that for sure. It looks like a town that is barely hanging on, BUT it has fewer empty storefronts than other places we've been recently. I guess it could be an older population of retired people, which is the type of person we saw going to the bank, etc. The surrounding area is all properous looking farms and cattle ranches, so agriculture seems to be doing OK. I did notice that a cement company is a sponsor of the Lovers Leap park, so maybe that is the mining I saw.

Last time I looked at Marceline, where we are headed next, all of the storefronts were empty, so Hannibal may be more prosperous than a lot of the small towns around here. It is sad because they have so many once-grand old homes and mansions that are begging to be restored.

FeAudrey

Postby FeAudrey » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:05 am

Hope you guys are OK -- three days without an update is unusual for you.

Return to “Road Trips & Land Destinations”