More Big Bands

HostDave
Site Admin

More Big Bands

Postby HostDave » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Sep 21, 2012
By Christopher Kyte, President

Some people run a company the way they feel it ought to be run, with little regard for the consumer. I think we’ve all seen that happen a few too many times in our own lives to realize it isn’t acceptable. Have you ever tried to actually walk into a bank? Good luck finding one open when you’re not working. If you need to speak to someone in a financial institution, you’re going to have to take your lunch hour or some time off work to do it.

And have you ever had a waiter or waitress bring you the wrong order and then argue with you? Just the other day I ordered a meal at a restaurant near my home here in Memphis. I ordered a nice cut of meat medium rare with a baked sweet potato. Asked what I wanted on the potato, I asked for butter on the side. What arrived was a regular Idaho potato smothered in butter, chives, bacon bits and sour cream and completely the wrong cut of meat, cooked well-done. When I pointed out politely that wasn’t what I had asked for, the waiter growled at me and told me flat out I was wrong. I noted that this was probably an order for another table since not only was the meat wrong, cooked wrong and the wrong potato, it had arrived with sides I never ordered. He didn’t yet have my companion’s order in his hands either.
He set it in front of me anyway and told me he’d send the manager over.

Would someone explain to me at what point in our society the customer is not only no longer always right, but is a downright moron and should be treated as such by service folks? That’s a memo I apparently missed.

That said, there are also plenty of organizations that believe the customer is still always right and that there’s always room for improvement. I’d like to think that the American Queen Steamboat Company is one of those companies. Virtually all of our voyages in 2013 have a theme of some sort ranging from April in Paris to the Civil War. One thing that we’ve noticed is that for those guests which book a cruise for a particular theme, their expectations are very high and deservedly so.

Our recent Big Band Voyages were a big hit. We had some great musicians aboard and the vast majority of our guests appreciated the extra touches and the way the theme carried through to performances by our own Steamboat Syncopators orchestra and other musical groups as well as the big name, big band that was featured two or three nights on every cruise. Most people book their cruises based on destination and departure dates first and the theme second. However, for those that book for the theme first and foremost, we took to heart the old saying that the “customer is always right.”

Those of you committed to the theme want an even greater immersion in your passion, and I’m happy to say we’ve received your feedback, listened carefully to what you have told us and are planning some Big Band sailings in February that will exceed your expectations.

If you’re a fan of Big Band Themeboating voyages, we have two sentimental journeys you won’t want to miss. We’re featuring a February 15, 2013, vacation from Memphis, TN to New Orleans, LA and a February 23, 2013, voyage roundtrip from New Orleans. Both voyages feature not just one band, but at least three in addition to our own home-grown talent. Herb Reed’s Platters and the Artie Shaw Orchestra will be performing on each voyage and the February 15 departure also features the Harry James Orchestra. On February 23 we’ve also added the New Orleans All-Stars, Tout Les Soir and the Three Redneck Tenors as an extra bonus. Even our Mardi Gras journey sailing from New Orleans, LA to Memphis, TN on February 7, 2013, has The Harry James Orchestra in addition to music celebrating Mardi Gras such as the New Orleans All-Stars, Tout Les Soir and the Bruce Daigrepont Cajun Band.

The lesson here is that the American Queen Steamboat Company always values our guests’ feedback and unlike some companies that file comments away, we take all our guests’ views very seriously. Your loyalty has fueled our efforts to return the American Queen to the rivers and the least we can do is to act upon them. You are our customers. And you’re always right.

Return to “American Queen Steamboat Co.”