Canyonlands Road Trip Discussion

Discussions and Questions about Land Destinations, Hotels, Ports, and More.
HostDave
Site Admin

Canyonlands Road Trip Discussion

Postby HostDave » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:50 pm

It's still a long way off, but this is the place to talk about our upcoming road trip.

MemberErik

Re: Canyonlands Road Trip Discussion

Postby MemberErik » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Looks like a great itinerary, but I think you both will be in sensory overload with so much dramatic scenery.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Oh this will be great. I traveled with my great aunt one summer and we hit many of these stops. I can't wait to travel along with you. It will be interesting to see if the National Parks have updated their facilities. I am especially interested in the old Fred Harvey hotel. And for heaven sake don't forget to get a picture of the two of you "Standing on a corner in Winslow AZ, etc.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:28 am

Sorry to hear about your older dog, but was pleased to see the update on the trip planning. I'll also be interested to hear how the house sitter vetting plays out so hope you will report on that.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Losing the older dog was completely unexpected, but now that it is over the house sitting issue isn't quite as daunting. We had just chosen someone who was willing to take on the responsibility for him, but it was still a worry. I'll let you know how the whole experience goes.

I initially used two sites several months ago: http://www.luxuryhousesitters.com and http://www.housesittersamerica.com. I got WAY more responses from Luxury House Sitters, but a lot of them were either way too young (we're talking 19-20) or had other background-check issues. I got two appropriate candidates from House Sitters America and chose one. She ended up backing out (with plenty of notice), so I started over. This time I used Luxury House Sitters and and another site I found, http://www.trustedhousesitters.com. EVERYONE who applied from the new site was well qualified, but I got another slew of unqualified people from LHS (I did get some good ones, too.) I think the difference is that there is a small ($10) fee to use the site even for homeowners, so it isn't full of flakes. Ultimately, it came down to a choice between a 20-something couple and a couple my age (late 50's). I sent out the agreement to both of them and the young couple passed (I intended to interview both of them.) So, after some back and forth with emails, I spoke to the remaining couple on the phone, felt we clicked, and gave them the job. The next day, the dog had a stroke and that was that. So, at this point, we're as confident as we can be that the people we chose will work out fine. I sure hope so because we're planning more ambitious travels for 2014 that won't be as easy to cancel at the last minute as a road trip.

Of course, I'll fill you in on what ultimately happens. It is a bit concerning because there really isn't anything to obligate a house sitter to actually show up other than being a responsible human being and fulfilling a promise to a complete stranger. On the other hand, even if we were to hire someone and pay them, that doesn't mean they won't take the money and run, so it is all a gamble. At this point, we're optimistic that it will work out fine.

kayred

Postby kayred » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 pm

I am very sorry to hear about your dog. My own dog has been declining lately and I am worried about what will happen, it certainly adds a lot of stress in our lives.

I am excited about your latest hotel updates and I have been enjoying these land vacations - however your statement "ambitious travels for 2014 that won't be as easy to cancel at the last minute" makes me think cruising will in your future :) .... gotta admit I love the cruise blogs.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:46 pm

The dog had required a lot of attention and help walking the past couple of years, but we didn't mind. As long as he was happy, it was fine. I'm glad it was quick and obviously time to go when it did happen. He was so attentive and fun that the younger dog has a lot of catching up to do. He's very cute, so he's definitely getting by on his looks ;-)

The 2014 plan does involve a cruise, but only as a way to get home from Japan. Those crossings with only one port are so cheap it is about the same as flying in business class one way. Plus, I want to use up our 50th cruise freebie before they stop offering that option (we would still have to pay for the extra days.) We were tempted to save up the free cruise for one more expensive, but we're so over Crystal (or should I say, Crystal's prices) that I don't know how long it would be before we found one again that interests us.

There is another option in the works involving a road trip around Iceland, plus I have at least four U.S. road trips laid out, so pretty much anything goes at this point.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:18 pm

You guys are leaving soon,right? I'm looking forward to your reports. I like the time/temp thing you have on your itinerary. Drive safely.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Leaving next Thursday if thing go right!

kayred

Postby kayred » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:10 pm

Very Exciting...I also noticed the upcoming trips. Have fun and enjoy!!

Return to “Road Trips & Land Destinations”