Canyonlands Road Trip Discussion

Discussions and Questions about Land Destinations, Hotels, Ports, and More.
Marybeth

Re: Canyonlands Road Trip Discussion

Postby Marybeth » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:35 pm

I have stayed at Hyatt Place hotels a couple of times. My experience has been very positive. The rooms are beautiful and very comfortable. The lobby/restaurant area is nice and food is available 24 hours a day. I hope your experience is good. I'm looking forward to your reports.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:01 pm

We stayed at Hyatt brands all the time when we first started traveling and liked them. I'm not sure why we stopped, but I guess the huge Hyatt Regency hotels started to seem very dated. I'm looking forward to trying some of their new concepts in the future. The pictures of the Hyatt Place sort of look like a more upscale Springhill Suites, but with lower prices. $116 seems like a bargain for downtown Scottsdale and was $30 less than the Hilton Garden Inn.

I don't recall if I mentioned this here before, but I had a very good customer service experience with Hyatt a few years ago. When we were going to stay at the Hyatt in Palm Springs I tried to sign up for a new Gold Passport account, but the site wouldn't let me. I contacted customer service and they dredged up my account that hadn't been used in over 20 years and reactivated it. The most amazing thing was that they still had a record of the points I had accumulated and put them on the new account. I didn't even know I had points sitting there, so it hadn't occurred to me to even ask for them. I was impressed!

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Safe travels! Very exciting to have your blog to look forward to each day.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks! Glad to be of some value ;-)

The house sitters have arrived safely, so that's one less thing to worry about. They are just as snarky as we are, so it might be more fun to stay home and talk to them, but we're already committed for the trip, so I guess we HAVE to go.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 pm

Have fun. Can't wait for the reports.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Wed May 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks! We'll be leaving whenever the power outage is over, assuming it actually happens as scheduled.

pinfu

Postby pinfu » Wed May 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Thank you for taking us all along on your latest adventure. But, Dave, no illness, no injuries, no hanging out in doctors' offices, no ER tours, OK? Stay safe! Stay well!

Pinfu

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Fri May 03, 2013 8:09 pm

We have arrived safely in Scottsdale and I have today's blog ready to post, BUT it seems the Hyatt's internet system is blocking my updates. So, no live update for you today. This place is nice enough, but EXTREMELY noisy (it is in the nightclub zone apparently), so if the internet issue can't be solved, we may be looking for a different hotel tomorrow.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Fri May 03, 2013 9:55 pm

I found a workaround for the uploading problem, but I'm still thinking we might move on to the next city a day early. This place just isn't doing it for us. We'll see, sometimes we warm up to places we don't like right off the bat.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 am

I'm enjoying the reports. You have such good attitudes and I love your take on the hotels/restaurants/sites. Sorry the Hyatt Place was a disappointment. As I think back, I think I remember the lobby area being jammed packed and rather chaotic but the floors were nice and quiet. Although they told you the hotel wasn't designed as a Hyatt Place I do remember that the sink was outside the bathroom proper and the bathroom was tiny.
I love the look of your hotel from last night.
Looking forward to more reports.

Return to “Road Trips & Land Destinations”