Canyonlands Road Trip Discussion

Discussions and Questions about Land Destinations, Hotels, Ports, and More.
HostDave
Site Admin

Re: Canyonlands Road Trip Discussion

Postby HostDave » Tue May 14, 2013 2:48 pm

I added a link to the Getting Around Transit Map in the text for May 13th.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sun May 19, 2013 8:23 am

FYI, I haven't been able to update the site from the hotel in Monument Valley (very poor internet connection.) If I find a way to do it later today, I will, otherwise it won't happen until we get to Page.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Thu May 23, 2013 7:59 pm

The first batch of pictures has been posted in the Photo Gallery covering everything up to the arrival at the Grand Canyon.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Fri May 24, 2013 3:25 pm

The photos of Monument Valley are spectacular!! I'm not sure why we didn't go there on the family driving trips(s) 40ish years ago, but I wish we had. The rainbow one, in particular, is exceptional. What kind of camera do you use/how many pixels?

Hard to believe you're more than 1/2 way through the trip. I hope we don't have to wait too long for Iceland, since I'm really enjoying the commentary. And I appreciate knowing to bring my own food to the North Rim.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sun May 26, 2013 2:08 pm

My camera is a Canon 12.1 pixel, but I don't use the highest resolution. I believe the dpi by the time I publish the pics online is 180. I already filled up a 4mb memory card with the originals and I have never done that before. Now that I'm back in a hotel with decent internet, I will try to get the next batch uploaded.

BTW, you don't have to bring food to Bryce. Overall, it was the nicest stay we've had in a national park lodge. Strangely enough, it is run by the same company as the north rim! Sure was a polar opposite. I'll get the blog updated shortly.

By the way, the Iceland trip is supposed to be this fall, but I might do another US road trip instead depending on how quickly I can figure something out.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sun May 26, 2013 9:07 pm

The next batch of photos is now posted in the photo gallery. This covers through our visit to Canyon de Chelly.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:26 pm

More photos covering Monument Valley through Bryce Canyon have been added to the Photo Gallery.

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Was very disappointed to see how dilapidated the English Village has become. I'd really been looking forward to your post on it, since I insisted we detour to Lake Havasu City to see the bridge and village during a family trip about a year after it opened. It was lively and charming (at least to a young teen who'd never seen the real thing at that point). I even have a charm bracelet...they were all the rage then...with a piece of the bridge. Oh well.

Safe travels the rest of your trip and thanks for the blogging effort!

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:49 am

I hate seeing things like that go down the tubes. It needs someone like me to resurrect it properly ;-) But it was 107 and summer has just begun, so that's not happening!

FeAudrey

Postby FeAudrey » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:44 am

The rancher you mentioned on Day 31:

http://www.jetsetenterprises.com/cruise ... htm#Day_31

"The rancher whose land is crossed by the dirt road to get there built a new road and is charging a $20.00 per person toll."

is back in the news:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 7738.story

" 'This is about somebody who decided to block the road that has been a public road for years, that has been traveled on by thousands of tourists,' said (Hualapai) tribal spokesman Dave Cieslak."

Return to “Road Trips & Land Destinations”