Tokyo Disney Resort Trip Report Discussion

HostDave
Site Admin

Tokyo Disney Resort Trip Report Discussion

Postby HostDave » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:11 pm

Post your questions or comments about our trip to the Tokyo Disney Resort here. I'll try to answer as quickly as possible during the trip.

YFlower

Re: Tokyo Disney Resort Trip Report Discussion

Postby YFlower » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:18 am

Yay for the first post! I'm curious about the guest mix (Western vs. Japanese) at the Hilton compared to your experience at the Disney hotel. Also, regarding the buffet, you indicated it was pretty popular, which given the price is surprising. Do you think it's because most of the Japanese are on some package deal that includes dinner, which is a common feature there?

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:51 am

Last night and today, we only saw maybe 4 non-Japanese at the hotel, which is VERY busy. I only saw one family of westerners at the breakfast buffet this morning, but it wasn't very busy. To answer your question, I think there were more non-Japanese at the Disneyland Hotel than at the Hilton. It is odd because every employee we have talked to speaks perfect English here and none of them spoke more than rudimentary English at the Disneyland Hotel. So, it isn't as though there are no English-speakers available to them.

There was a line outside the expensive buffet tonight when we came back to the hotel at 7:30pm, but it is a Saturday. Several weddings going on here, too. I suppose perhaps that price isn't too outrageous to a Japanese person. I believe the breakfast buffet is $38.00. It was very high quality, as was the dinner buffet, and the price is more in line with what I expect at a resort hotel. Our breakfast is free because of HHonors and it could possibly be included as a package with dinner for Japanese guests. I know they love a buffet! I saw a couple of big groups arrive on buses this morning. This hotel isn't cheap though...sometimes over $400 for a regular room (we aren't paying that much). It is the least expensive western chain (I think the Sheraton Grande is a bit higher), but there are three big Japanese hotels next door that look nice that are less expensive. Plus, there is the VERY expensive Hotel Okura on the other side. Breakfast there when I researched it was $45! At least you get great service for these prices. There is a staff member every ten feet no matter where you go!

YFlower

Postby YFlower » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks for the info. FYI, the link to the photo of the Fukugawa-Edo Museum is broken.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks, I'll check the link.

The breakfast area was full this morning, so I paid more attention to the mix of guests. There were only four non-Japanese people in the whole place (it is huge), including the two of us. I saw no Westerners in the lobby.

It sure is nice being in a country where little kids are so well behaved! Love it.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:36 pm

I'm loving your reports and pictures. In your report of Day 2 at Disney Sea you made a reference to Disney not owning any of the Tokyo parks. What exactly does that mean and how in the heck did they manage that? I love everything Disney and based on your reports it almost makes me want to visit Tokyo Disney. Thanks for taking us along.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Oh and I agree with you totally about well behaved little kids. If only parents knew how much more adorable well behaved kids are than screaming, spoiled brats.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:21 pm

The Tokyo Disney Resort is owned by the Oriental Land Co., Ltd. Disney doesn't have an ownership interest in the parks or OLC. They pay Disney a royalty, so I guess you could say it is a franchise operation. I'm sure Disney wishes they owned it, but I think back when it was built they were kind of tapped out from EPCOT and/or cautious about opening a park outside the U.S. Funny, because the parks in France and Hong Kong that Disney does have a stake in have been losing money since they opened. Oops! They have only now started to turn the corner only because Disney bought back some of the loans (France) after some sultan or other bailed them out years ago when it was about to bankrupt. OLC pays Disney Imagineering to design and build everything, so it isn't as though Disney isn't making anything off of this place and Disney sets the standards here that they don't even maintain in their own parks anymore.

We can only wish the U.S. parks could be run as well as the Tokyo parks. We've never seen staffing levels like they have here even back when I worked at Disneyland in the 1970's. I don't understand why Disney doesn't look at the profits here and see how better service and reasonable prices can translate into higher sales and profits. Every single shop and restaurant (all of which are open all day, by the way) are packed from opening until closing.

I'm not a child friendly person in general, but the kids here are so adorable to watch. Even late at night when they should be cranky, they just sit there quietly on the monorail interacting nicely with their parents and siblings. It is very cute to watch an older brother help his little sister and interact without any bickering. As an ex-Disney cast member it is very touching to me to see how Japan has embraced Disney. They're more attached to it than Americans are. Almost everyone (no exaggeration) in the parks is wearing a character hat or Mickey ears, carrying around a Duffy bear dressed in a costume, wearing a princess outfit, or using a Disney purse. Heck, I love Disney and I wouldn't even consider hauling around a stuffed animal all day! We're talking people from babies to adults. Even teenagers are all decked out from top to bottom in Disney gear.

HostDave
Site Admin

Postby HostDave » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:30 pm

By the way, if you are at all a Disney fan, seeing Tokyo DisneySea should move to the top of your bucket list. I can't begin to describe how beautiful it is. Standing there last night waiting for Fantasmic! for an hour I kept looking around literally in awe of how amazing it all is. It made me happy just to be there.

FYI, I will try to post all of the pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ASAP. It will depend on when I have some down time to get them ready and I have a good internet connection. Uploading from here would take too long even if I did have time to prepare the photos.

Marybeth

Postby Marybeth » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:43 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I know Disney Paris has had a hard time so it is interesting to read about the huge success of Tokyo Disney. I will admit I spit water all over my laptop when I read the price of the Passports, That is just amazing Disney here is pricing themselves out of the reach of most middle class families. I think it is also interesting that there is a big demand for stuffed characters. Last Fall when I was at Epcot for the Wine and Food Fest I searched high and low for anything Tinkerbell for my baby niece. Nada. No t shirts, no light up toys, only a grotesque stuffed Tinkerbell. I did buy it but it scared the baby when I got it home. When I asked cast members where the Tinkerbell section was in that great big Disney Store in Downtown Disney they said we don't have much in the way of Tinkerbell. Interestingly the Orlando airport had several Tink items. Isn't Tinkerbell sort of an iconic Disney character?

Return to “Tokyo Disney Resort”