The Lower Mississippi

HostDave
Site Admin

The Lower Mississippi

Postby HostDave » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:58 pm

By Timothy Rubacky, Senior Vice President

We’ve spent the summer wandering through the north and the east, exploring the Upper Mississippi River as far as St. Paul, the Ohio River as far as Pittsburgh, and sailed along the Tennessee River. But as we relocate the American Queen to the Lower Mississippi for the remainder of fall, the winter and early spring, I want to take a moment to thank all the small river towns and large cities for their rousing welcomes, unfailing support and superb hospitality. Our guests have loved the places we’ve taken them and our staff and crew have enjoyed meeting new friends in our ports of call. It’s been a grand and glorious time of exploration for all of us and we want to extend our sincere gratitude to everyone who made it so enjoyable.

But now that we’re back here in the Deep South, that special brand of Southern hospitality is bubbling over as we become reacquainted with our friends in places like New Orleans, LA; Memphis, TN; Helena, AR; St. Francisville, LA; Vicksburg, MS; Natchez, MS, Oak Alley, LA; Houmas House, LA and Baton Rouge, LA. We might have already celebrated Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t mean I can’t still be thankful for all of our wonderful partners along the Lower Mississippi.

In New Orleans, I’m thankful for that carefree attitude that pervades the entire city from Jackson Square to the Garden District. However, it is the city’s unfailing spirit that makes it a true American jewel. The birthplace of jazz, the city’s music scene is among the nation’s best. Bourbon Street, the French Quarter, Mardi Gras, spectacular cuisine and a laid-back vibe are all part of what makes New Orleans so very New Orleans.

I’m grateful for Memphis’ sense of history. Hometown of the Great American Steamboat Company, Memphis is a city whose very identity is tied to the river. Long before it became the home of Elvis Presley, the King of Rock and Roll, it was the King of Cotton. The city was founded in 1818 and, in a nod to its expected importance on the Mississippi River, was named after the Nile River’s ancient capital of Egypt.

In Helena, I’m happy that it is one of few communities with relatively undamaged and original battle sites from the Civil War. The Union Army occupied Helena and on July 4, 1863, Confederate soldiers launched an assault on Helena to retake the town. The attack was part of a broader strategy to divert Union forces from the Battle of Vicksburg taking place at the same time. Unfortunately, the Confederate attempt to recapture Helena took place the same day that Confederate forces surrendered at Vicksburg and just a day after the Union victory at the Battle of Gettysburg. Helena remained firmly in Union hands.

I love the fact that Houmas House was the site in 1963 of the filming of Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte starring Bette Davis or that another classic plantation home, Oak Alley, was the star in several scenes in the 1994 Tom Cruise flick Interview with the Vampire based on the Anne Rice novel of the same name.

I’m thankful that Natchez still thrives, its place in riverboat history secure. The city was a frequent stop for steamboats during the 1800s. Built on a bluff overlooking the river, Natchez proper is a beautiful town of quaint shops and antebellum plantations such as Twin Oaks, now owned by Great American Steamboat Company Chef de Cuisine Regina Charboneau. When the great floating palaces were plying the river, Natchez was a favorite port of call. The landing on the river was in an area known as Natchez-Under-the-Hill and connected to the town above by the Bluff City Railway. The area around the landing became a favorite haunt of riverboat crews who found saloons, brothels and every possible distraction imaginable.

I’m fascinated by modern Baton Rouge. The city has had a patchwork history and many masters, having been under the control of France, Britain, Spain, Louisiana, the Florida Republic, the Confederacy and the United States. The original Louisiana State Capitol even bore a strong resemblance to a Neo-Gothic medieval castle. But the push to establish the city as a hub for river traffic came under the direction of French Canadians driven from their property in the north by the British. The group was known as Cajuns and their unique cultural influence is a key component of the area today.

I’m intrigued by tiny St. Francisville, which bounced between countries during its two centuries of history before becoming part of the United States. Founded in 1809 by the English, the town’s location put it at the center of a bone of contention regarding the boundary of the 1803 Louisiana Purchase. France, England and Spain all laid claim to the land. In fact, in 1810 the town served as the capital of the Republic of West Florida, an independent republic set up by settlers who resented Spanish rule. The experiment lasted less than three months before St. Francisville officially became part of the United States once and for all.

I’m thankful that the sacrifices made at Vicksburg have not been forgotten. After a siege lasting 47 days, Union General Ulysses S. Grant finally forced the surrender of Confederate General John C. Pemberton on July 4, 1863 with more than 37,000 soldiers either killed or wounded. Vicksburg National Cemetery is a monument to all those who were lost.

Yes, it’s good to be back on the Lower Mississippi and I’m immensely grateful that it is an area with such a rich history, fascinating tales, warm people and comforting cuisine. There’s something about the South that makes you feel at home.

Return to “American Queen Steamboat Co.”